Sunday 21 February 2016

Fantastico auto rides

Uber is one of the most amazing ideas that have been out since iPhones and Android phones have become so popular. I appreciate the idea and all the convenience it has given me. Something I discovered recently on Ola, one of Uber's competitors, reminded me of something that made me absolutely nostalgic.

I booked an Ola auto the other day to take me to college. I haven't been in an auto ever since Uber has become popular, so I had forgotten all my memories in auto rickshaws. In my entire school life, I was transported to and from school in an auto. When I was smaller, a crazy illegal number of ten kids used to take a single auto to and from school; four on the seat, three on the wooden plank, and three tiny ones behind, in the "trunk" where our bags were supposed to go. Every day we'd fight about who got to sit on the seat; it was a comfort we enjoyed only when we could emerge winners in that fight (which wasn't always limited to a verbal fight; we were pretty tough back then!).

Once we grew up a bit, so many of us didn't fit in a single auto, though, and then there were fewer of us. This was the time we made some of our closest friends, even though they were from other "gangs" during school time, sometimes even from other batches. This was the place where there was no differentiation between seniors and juniors. We had some really deep, heart to heart talks in the auto.
Once I grew up more, I used autos to take me to my corporate college in twelfth grade, too. The time I got to come to college and go back home in an auto was the best time of the day for me during that phase. It was the only time that I was allowed to escape my busy schedule and cool off a bit. Even sleep was disturbed, but auto rides never were. I would plug in my earphones and listen to some music while looking outside. It thrilled me when it rained; an auto is the best place to be when it's raining! You don't get completely soaked, yet you're not deprived of the chilly drizzle that's permitted to reach you. Amazing music, goosebumps while your head is covered, and a little time to yourself; what more can one ask for? It was simply fantastico!

Auto rickshaws are the typical Indian way of public transport. They make me nostalgic! They remind me of the fantastico days of my childhood, the fantastico people I met and the fantastico time when I was allowed some peaceful solitude. It makes me sad that autos are dying out slowly, but maybe something fantastico will come that the newer generations will have fond memories of!


This blog post is inspired by the blogging marathon hosted on IndiBlogger for the launch of the #Fantastico Zica from Tata Motors. You can apply for a test drive of the hatchback Zica today.

No comments:

Post a Comment