Sunday 21 February 2016

The impact of my grandma

This post is a diary entry I've written about the deep impact my grandmother has on me.

One day, all of these will be a memory. A memory of a time that has gone past. A fleeting chain of occurrences that etch their marks upon the fabric of time.

My grandparents are leaving today. Yes, their stay was quite turbulent; they had to face a lot of difficulties here. I was actually looking forward to this day, and i am still glad that this day has come and that their stay was a short one.

But I shall be missing my grandma. Deeply.

My relationship with her is a bit away from the ordinary. I don't have any specific memories of her which the world would call 'memorable'. No, there's no such single incident like that which has made a big impact. It's just the little things that make up who she is to me - that peculiar knowledgeable smile. That nonchalant style of walking. That innocent giggle. That casual use of Bengali slang. Those "take some more"s while giving me food. That voice. They might not mean much to anyone else. They might not have meant much even to me, if she hadn't been my grandma - who, as I've heard, was the first person to see me in this world - after the doctors and nurses who took me out.

I'm writing this in order to preserve a concrete memory of her. Something which if i read many years from now, the exact memories of her would come flying back to my mind, tugging the same strings, bringing the same breeze. You know what, the problem with these 70-plus year-old people is, there's always a realistic doubt within you when you're saying them goodbye, if it's the last time you're doing that.

Life will go on just fine after she goes today. I've got work to do, friends, lots of people in my life. But then there's something about her - this, this particular moment when i see her walking in the house uttering something - which nothing can ever replace. A void that houses something so special to me, it can never be filled with anything else.

I love my Dida.

Now let me go and savour the last moments of her visit here before she catches the train. :D

As I look back on it, my grandmother has indeed had a profound impact on my thoughts. For a lot of people, their grandparents are their constant source of love and affection - the ones who never get tired of showering you with their fondness. In my case, it has been no different. Whenever I go to my grandmother's place in suburban West Bengal, she always has a stock of homemade savouries ready which she has made specifically for me. If I were to list a people who had a significant impact on my life, my grandmother would be right there among the top.


This blog post is inspired by the blogging marathon hosted on IndiBlogger for the launch of the #Fantastico Zica from Tata Motors. You can apply for a test drive of the hatchback Zica today.

No comments:

Post a Comment