Sunday 14 February 2016

The impact of photography

It was the 24th of December, 2012. My parents had gifted me a DSLR camera on my eighteenth birthday. I always had an interest in photography and so, I couldn’t have asked for anything better! I hadn’t planned on using it much initially – just a few college events and of course, the outdoor trips. But in the coming years, the camera became such an integral part of my life and made such a big impact on my lifestyle that it’s hard to imagine life without taking photos now.

I didn’t have much of an idea about the intricacies of photography until I started using this camera, but once I began to know more about it, I discovered that this was a deeply intriguing world which I hadn’t explored till now. I found out that taking photos wasn’t just about pointing and shooting, and saving memories; it was an art of its own. I began to familiarize myself with the various features in the camera that controlled light exposure, shutter speed, sensitivity and aperture among others; and it was beautiful to learn the things that one could possibly do with a combination of these.

As time went on, I realized that the DSLR camera is just a handy tool – one need not necessarily have a DSLR in order to take good photos. In fact, it makes just about as much difference as a great pen would have in making a fantastic writer. Sure, DSLRs allow us to use a variety of lenses and employ special effects that bring out the charm in certain situations; but taking a good photograph all boils down to being in the right place at the right time and the ability to frame a shot with the perfect angle. These days, I use my phone (which doesn’t exactly have the best of smartphone cameras) equally often while clicking pictures. It’s much more convenient – I don’t have the liberty of carrying my DSLR everywhere; it’s big and bulky, and in many occasions it may seem very conspicuous.


The impact that photography can make on the world is tremendous. A lot of people in strife-torn regions of Africa and other places have better access to facilities now because of the untiring efforts of a few photographers who dared to brave the odds, capture the plight of the people living there and showcase it to the world, thereby raising the call for help. Photography gives us a peek at every corner of the world – even outer space, for that matter; it has rightly been said that a picture speaks a thousand words. It transports us to a world outside the one we are in at that moment, and it also allows us to cherish our most beloved moments for later. It’s a fascinating, impactful world and I’m glad to be a part of it.


This blog post is inspired by the blogging marathon hosted on IndiBlogger for the launch of the #Fantastico Zica from Tata Motors. You can apply for a test drive of the hatchback Zica today.

No comments:

Post a Comment