Monday 15 February 2016

My peppy grandpa

I had been to Delhi yet again, five months ago. That's when I had the fortune of meeting a grandfather of mine who had a lasting impression on me. I shall forever respect him for the way he lives his life and today, I am going to share it with you.

What is the first image that comes to your mind when you first hear the word "grandparents"? Though there are quite a few exceptions to the rule, most people over the age of 70 usually lead a rather sedentary lifestyle overburdened with several chronic health problems; they're easily flustered and generally do not like it

if there are many changes to their routine. There is also a significant generation gap, usually; they don't get along very well with the lifestyle of the younger generation and have trouble adapting to the glitz and fast-paced nature of the modern world. Well, I can proudly say this - not my grandpa!

The last time when I met him, after a span of several years, he looked pretty much the same from when I had seen him in my childhood. He is around 90 years old now and I had expected to see him as a frail figure - probably quite hard of hearing and not able to move around much. However, I was in for a complete shock. He seemed perfectly fine and was talking fluently with others! We got around to him asking stuff about my college and his daily routine. He told me that he goes for a walk every morning and can't live without it. Then he showed me his smartphone. He even had WhatsApp on it and used it to communicate regularly with other members of our family! Also, he didn't just use it; he seemed to be almost as comfortable with using his phone as any teenager would. Indeed, he seemed to be enjoying his life to the fullest; he had just returned from a sightseeing trip to Mussoorie two years ago and was already looking forward to visiting his daughter in Kolkata soon. He literally changed my opinion about old people and their ways of thinking - he showed me that old people can be peppy too!

He is one of those people who doesn't just say that age is just a number, he practices it as well. He's a living example of the fact that age is all in your head - you can consider yourself 40 years old or 90 years young, it all depends on your perspective. People of all ages can live life the way they want to; there's no such rule that determines that all old people have to behave in the same manner. And usually, when aged people also choose to be lively and peppy like youngsters, it's so much fun for themselves as well as the people around them. He truly serves as an inspiration to all of us and in the future, I hope I become like him too.

This blog post is inspired by the blogging marathon hosted on IndiBlogger for the launch of the #Fantastico Zica from Tata Motors. You can apply for a test drive of the hatchback Zica today.

No comments:

Post a Comment